The Investment Treaty Forum (ITF) was founded in 2004. Its aim is to provide a global centre for serious high level debate in the field of international investment law.
The Forum is a membership-based group, bringing together some of the most expert and experienced lawyers, business managers, policy advisers, academics and government officials working in the field. Like BIICL itself, the Forum has a reputation for independence, even-handedness and academic rigour.
The Forum membership is by invitation only.
The Patrons of the Forum are: HE Judge Rosalyn Higgins DBE QC, Professor Florentino Feliciano and Yves Fortier CC QC.
The Forum Director is Professor Yarik Kryvoi
The Advisory Board
Since its inception the Investment Treaty Forum's programme has been guided on an informal basis by a small Advisory Board which currently comprises:
- Sir Frank Berman, KCMG QC, Essex Court Chambers;
- Professor Andrea Bjorklund, McGill University;
- Professor A Vaughan Lowe, All Souls College Oxford and Essex Court Chambers;
- Loretta Malintoppi, 39 Essex Chambers, London;
- Audley Sheppard QC, Clifford Chance LLP, London;
- Robert Volterra, Volterra Fietta, London.
The Public International Law Advisory Panel of the Institute also provides useful advice and support to the Forum.
The ITF's strength lies in its membership, which is drawn from as wide a range of backgrounds as possible. Members meet regularly (typically 3-4 times each year) to discuss topical issues and, where appropriate, to develop views on issues of concern to governments and decision-makers. The Forum also has strong links with related institutions (including the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the UNCTAD and many others).
Benefits of membership
Key benefits for ITF members include:
- The right to participate in an independently-run Forum, including free entry to all ITF meetings and conferences.
- A direct influence on the agenda of Forum meetings and the opportunity to recommend events, speakers and topics for debate.
- The opportunity to suggest research or other work to be carried out by the Forum staff.
- Access to a members-only section of the website with various materials related to investment treaty law.
- The membership benefits in line with the Institute's Individual membership (free access to ICLQ, 40% discount on BIICL publications, 20% discount on CUP publications and member rate at BIICL events).
Conditions of membership
Forum membership is limited by invitation only, to ensure the highest quality in its plenary discussions. To guarantee continuity, and manageability of debate, membership is for named individuals only. However, at the time of joining, members may nominate a senior colleague to represent them on those occasions when they are unable to attend meetings.
Membership of the ITF is available at the following annual rates (exclusive of VAT):
- Corporate membership: £2,750
- Individuals: £500.
The Forum membership is by invitation only. For more information on ITF membership please contact: ITF Director.
- ITF Members
- ITF Events
- ITF Assistance to States
- International Economic Law volunteer research scheme
- ITF Annual Report 2017