The Institute's Product Liability Forum (PLF) was launched in 2004, following the success of a series of events and projects which attracted substantial interest from practitioners, industry and academia. The PLF enables the practical application of policy and developments in product liability and safety law to be considered by leading lawyers in private practice, industry, academia, regulatory bodies and senior business managers, consumer representatives, public servants, public affairs professionals and other specialist practitioners. Its role is to analyse and improve the conduct of policy and practice in the spheres of Product Liability, Product Safety and Mass Torts.
The academic credentials of the Product Liability Forum set it apart from other bodies. It is not designed as a lobby group, nor is it to be identified with any particular perspective or sector. The Product Liability Forum shares the reputation enjoyed by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law for independence, even-handedness and academic rigour.
Annual reports on the Forum's activities are available to download:
- PLF Annual Report 2016
- PLF Annual Report 2015
- PLF Annual Report 2014
- PLF Annual Report 2013
- PLF Annual Report 2012.
The work of the PLF is led by Dr Duncan Fairgrieve, Senior Research Fellow in Comparative Law at the Institute.
Benefits of Membership
- The opportunity to participate in an independently-run Forum that aims to influence policy, and which provides an arena for ongoing and constructive debate with regulators and other decision-makers.
- An invitation to exclusive Forum events (all with CPD points).
- Access to the authoritative and user-friendly Product Liability Database, a web-based resource of legislation and judicial decisions on Product Liability which is regularly updated and includes analysis from a European-wide network of academics and practitioners
- The opportunity to act as speakers at both the PLF and public events.
Membership of the PLF is available at the following annual rates (exclusive of VAT):
- Corporate membership 1 (for firms with more than 50 legal partners): £2,950
- Corporate membership 2 (available for firms with (i) fewer than 50 legal partners; (ii) offices entirely outside the jurisdiction of England & Wales; and (iii) public sector organisations): £1,750
- Individuals: £1,000.
If you are interested in joining the Product Liability Forum, please contact Dr Duncan Fairgrieve.
Find out how you can help us address some of the most pressing global challenges.