Competition Law Forum
The Competition Law Forum is a centre of excellence for European competition and antitrust policy and law at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. It provides a forum in which the practical application of competition policy is considered by lawyers, economists, senior business managers, public servants, public affairs professionals, consumer bodies and other specialist practitioners.
The Forum identifies areas requiring debate and analysis, and provides the required forum and experts, thereby contributing to policy initiatives. In doing so it also produces leading-edge applied research, analysis and recommendations on the content, methodologies and application of competition policy at all levels of governance - national, European and global.
In addition, with the impact of a Brexit, the Competition Law Forum will provide a forum for academics and practitioners to debate competition law issues related to Brexit. There are regular private meetings for Forum members.
The Forum Director is Dr Liza Lovdahl-Gormsen, a leading academic and practitioner in the field. Liza's role at BIICL is to lead the Competition Law Forum, host events for its members and get the Forum involved in national and international competition policy debates and be engaged in competition law research.
Liza is a Non-Governmental Advisor to the International Competition Network, appointed by the UK Competition and Markets Authority. She is a member of the International Competition Network's (ICN) Unilateral Conduct Working Group and the Agency Effectiveness Working Group.
Forum Co Director
The Forum Co Director is Professor Ioannis Kokkoris . Ioannis holds a Chair in Competition Law and Economics at the Centre for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary University of London, UK. Ioannis has led projects for the European Commission, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the World Bank, the OECD, and other international institutions. He is an advisor to a number of competition authorities and frequently advises companies in a number of jurisdictions. Ioannis has more than 100 publications and delivers training programmes for companies, competition authorities and courts.
The CLF's Advisory Board meets regularly to oversee the activities of the Forum and to offer guidance to the Forum Director on programme development and research. It also has the key responsibility of ensuring that the quality standards of the Forum activities are appropriate to a centre of excellence and commensurate with the Institute's other activities.
The Advisory Board currently comprises:
- Bernardine Adkins, Gowling WLG
- Tim Cowen, Preiskel & Co
- Mark Friend, Allen & Overy
- Liza Lovdahl-Gormsen, British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- Michael Hutchings, OBE
- Mark Jones, Hogan Lovells
- Peter-Carlo Lehrell, Fipra International
- Adrian Majumdar, RBB Economics
- Simon Pritchard, Linklaters
- Stephen Wisking, Herbert Smith Freehills
Competition Law Forum members include some of the most expert and experienced lawyers, academics and government officials and international civil servants working on competition law.
Current members of the Competition Law Forum are listed below. The Forum membership is by invitation only. If you would like further details on how to become a member of the Forum, please contact Dr Liza Lovdahl-Gormsen.
- A&L Goodbody
- Alix Partners
- Allen & Overy
- Baker McKenzie
- Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Charles River Associates International
- Cleary Gottlieb
- Compass Lexecon
- Competition Appeal Tribunal
- Competition Markets Authority
- Cornerstone Research
- Fipra International
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
- Gowling WLG
- Herbert Smith Freehills
- HM Treasury
- Hogan Lovells
- Oxera Consulting
- Preiskel & Co
- RBB Economics
- Slaughter & May
- Visa Europe
- White & Case
Research Papers and Public Consultations
Below are a selection of research papers produced by the Institute's Competition Law Forum over the last few years.
- CLF Submission to the CMA on Online Platforms and Digital Advertising
- Arrangements for citizens residing in the UK and outside the UK in another EU country
- Mergers Exception to the duty to refer in markets of insufficient importance
- Evaluation of Procedural and Jurisdictional Aspects of EU Merger Control
- EU State Aid Law and Transfer Pricing: A Critical Introduction to a New Saga
- BIS consultation: Options to refine the UK competition regime
- The CLF Response to BIS's Consultation on Implementing the EU Directive on damages for breaches of competition law
- Collective dominance: An overview of national case law
- The CLF Response to the European Commission's Consultation Towards more effective EU merger control