Learn more about our training and development activities
While BIICL is primarily known for its high quality research, events and publications, BIICL also engages in high quality, research-informed teaching and capacity building. Over the past years, that teaching and training has included training government officials, practitioners, civil society representatives and others across a wide range of countries. Our teaching and training covers topics as diverse as the research BIICL undertakes.
Our teaching and training is informed by our research and events and, like those activities, builds on our internal expertise and our ability to convene some of the leading figures across the fields that we cover. Our training programme topics range from human rights to investment, from trade to the rule of law and from climate change to cultural heritage law. Our methods of delivery are various. Our programme includes: regular trainings offered at the Institute, online courses offered in partnership with other institutions, and tailored in-house training offered for a wide range of entities including governments, parliaments, judiciaries and civil society.
Our regular training courses include: Business and Human Rights, Climate Change Law, International Trade Law, Law of the Sea, and Public International Law in Practice. Details of our upcoming courses are available below. If a course date is not listed please contact the events team for further information.
In House Training
BIICL provide high-quality in-house training for individual groups and upon request. In house bespoke training will be tailored to your specific needs and availability. The training teams will usually include a combination of experts from BIICL's staff as well as external experts and practitioners. Some examples of previous training provided in this format include:
- Training on International Law and the Law of Treaties for the Department of International Trade UK;
- Training on International Trade Law and WTO Law for the Welsh Government;
- Training on International Law Sources and Treaty Law for the Europe Legal Group, Cabinet Office, UK;
- Training on International, Transnational and Domestic Criminal Law for prosecutors from the Office of the Attorney General, Nepal;
- Training Seminars on Public International Law Issues before the Courts for the Judicial College of England and Wales;
- Training seminar to Albanian judges on procedural issues including court efficiency and timeframes;
- Training for over 80 Bulgarian national and appellate level judges for the European Commission;
- A series of training courses on human rights and the rule of law for commercial judges in Russia;
- A capacity-building project to provide training materials and information to support constitutional change in Libya in partnership with Lawyers for Justice in Libya;
- A training session on the Rule of Law for the Federal Electoral Tribunal of Mexico;
- Training sessions on various aspects of International Migration Law for the Ministry of Public Security of China.