Learn more about our training and development activities
While BIICL is primarily known for its high quality research, events and publications, BIICL also engages in high quality, research-informed teaching and capacity building. Over the past years, that teaching and training has included training government officials, practitioners, civil society representatives and others across a wide range of countries. Our teaching and training covers topics as diverse as the research BIICL undertakes.
Our teaching and training is informed by our research and events and, like those activities, builds on our internal expertise and our ability to convene some of the leading figures across the fields that we cover. Our training programme topics range from human rights to investment, from trade to the rule of law and from climate change to cultural heritage law. Our methods of delivery are various. Our programme includes: regular trainings offered at the Institute, online courses offered in partnership with other institutions, and tailored in-house training offered for a wide range of entities including governments, parliaments, judiciaries and civil society.
Details of our regular courses and training offerings are below including our new virtual courses. If a course date is not listed please contact the events team for further information.
We are conscious of the many challenges posed by the current crisis and are seeking to do our part to support people preparing for the legal market in the days after the crisis. In view of this, we are offering a 15% discount on our courses to anyone for whom the current situation has resulted in reduced or precarious employment.
Moreover, in our effort to support greater engagement of under-represented groups in the legal profession, we are offering the same discount to people from such groups who take these courses.
In House Training
BIICL provide high quality in-house training for individual groups and upon request. Some examples of previous tailored requests include:
- Training on International Law and the Law of Treaties for the Department of International Trade UK;
- Training on International, Transnational and Domestic Criminal Law for prosecutors from the Office of the Attorney General, Nepal;
- Training Seminars on Public International Law Issues before the Courts for the Judicial College of England and Wales;
- Training seminar to Albanian judges on procedural issues including court efficiency and timeframes;
- Training for over 80 Bulgarian national and appellate level judges for the European Commission;
- A series of training courses on human rights and the rule of law for commercial judges in Russia;
- A capacity-building project to provide training materials and information to support constitutional change in Libya in partnership with Lawyers for Justice in Libya, through the Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law (part of BIICL).
- A training session on the Rule of Law for the Federal Electoral Tribunal of Mexico
- Training sessions on various aspects of International Migration Law for the Ministry of Public Security of China
- In house bespoke training will be tailored to your specific needs and availability. The training teams will usually include a combination of experts from BIICL's staff as well as external experts and practitioners.