The EU Referendum in Britain
The future of UK membership in the European Union has given rise to intense debate in a number of fora. BIICL and the Bingham Centre have sought to provide a forum for academics and practitioners to debate the potential impact of a Brexit.
Brexit Research Projects
BIICL is working on research projects reflecting the many aspects of Brexit.
Brexit Frequently Asked Questions
BIICL is putting together user-friendly FAQs about areas touched by Brexit. They are intended to provide an overview of some of the main issues affecting fields such as migration, civil justice and the constitution of the United Kingdom. Check regularly for new additions!
Download and read the FAQs here.
Read / Download / View
- Video of The Article 50 'Brexit' appeal: The Rule of Law After 'Miller' event 6 February 2017
- The Rule of Law: Brexit and Financial Services February 2017
- APPG Report: Reasoned Discussion of the High Court's Decision in Miller and What Might Happen Next, 30 November 2016
- Lawrence McNamara, 'Defending judges is not incompatible with press freedom' (The Times Brief, 14/11/2016)
- Michael Olatokun, 'The Rule of Law Must be at the Centre of Brexit' (Huffington Post, 10/11/2016)
- Bingham Centre statement on Art 50 High Court decision and invitation to the Lord Chancellor (8/11/2016)
- Lawrence McNamara, 'The rule of law and press freedom' (International Forum for Responsible Media Blog, 08/11/2016)
- APPG report: How Can Brexit Be Done under the Rule of Law?, 24 October 2016
- Video of Post Brexit: The Fate of Commercial Dispute Resolution in London and on the Continent , 26 May 2016
- Event summary: 10 Days, 10 Issues - Countdown to the Brexit Referendum, 14 June 2016
- Event summary: The UK in Europe, Scotland in the UK? The Implications of the EU Referendum, 25 April 2016 (with the University of Strathclyde)
- Event summary: The EU Referendum and its Impact on Legal Relationships, 3 March 2016 (with the Financial Markets Law Committee).
- APPG Report: The Death of the Human Rights Act, the Birth of a New Constitutional Settlement? 2 February 2016
- Blog: 'Early Steps on the Long Road to the Brexit Referendum', 16 July 2015
- 3 May 2017 Doing Business in a Post-Brexit Europe: What of the Single Market?
- 27 April 2017: Brexit, Devolution and Human Rights - Roundtable (with the University of Edinburgh) - by invitation only
- The Article 50 'Brexit' Appeal: The Rule of Law after Miller, 6 February 2017
- Legal Challenges Post Brexit, 31 January 2017
- Dispute Resolution post Brexit - Lessons from Denmark, Switzerland and The Hague, 19 January 2017
- APPG on the Rule of Law meeting: Reasoned Discussion of the High Court's Decision in Miller and What Might Happen Next, 30 November 2016 (in conjunction with the UK Constitutional Law Association)
- Brexit and the British Bill of Rights: Edinburgh Law School Workshop 27 October 2016
- APPG on The Rule of Law:: How Can Brexit Be Done under the Rule of Law?, 24 October 2016
- Trade and Investment post Brexit, 12 September 2016
- 10 Days, 10 Issues - Countdown to the Brexit Referendum, 14 June 2016.
- Post Brexit: The Fate of Commercial Dispute Resolution in London and on the Continent (with the Max Planck Institute for Procedural Law in Luxembourg), 26 May 2016
- The UK in Europe, Scotland in the UK? The Implications of the EU Referendum, 25 April 2016 (with the University of Strathclyde).
- The EU Referendum and its Impact on Legal Relationships, 3 March 2016 (with the Financial Markets Law Committee).
- Breaking BREXIT: Coping with a UK withdrawal from the EU in Practice, 15 July 2015
Property, dispossession and human rights in South Africa...
Launch of new KS4 Resource materials...
Find out how you can help us address some of the most pressing global challenges.