Competition Law Forum
The Competition Law Forum is a centre of excellence for European competition and antitrust policy and law at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. It provides a forum in which the practical application of competition policy is considered by lawyers, economists, senior business managers, public servants, public affairs professionals, consumer bodies and other specialist practitioners.
The Forum identifies areas requiring debate and analysis, and provides the required forum and experts, thereby contributing to policy initiatives. In doing so it also produces leading-edge applied research, analysis and recommendations on the content, methodologies and application of competition policy at all levels of governance - national, European and global.
In addition, with the impact of a Brexit, the Competition Law Forum will provide a forum for academics and practitioners to debate competition law issues related to Brexit. There are regular private meetings for Forum members.
Latest News item from the Competition Law Forum:
The Forum Directors are Dr Liza Lovdahl-Gormsen and Phil Evans. Their role at BIICL is to lead the Competition Law Forum and get the Forum involved in national and international competition policy debates through public consultations, engagement with regulators, competition law research and roundtable discussions.
Dr Liza Lovdahl Gormsen is a leading academic and practitioner in the field. In addition to working with the Competition Law Forum she is a Non-Governmental Advisor to the International Competition Network, appointed by the UK Competition and Markets Authority. She is also a member of the International Competition Network's (ICN) Unilateral Conduct Working Group and the Agency Effectiveness Working Group.
Phil Evans is an established practitioner and Decision Maker in competition, consumer and trade law and policy. He has been an Inquiry Chair and Panel Member at the CMA and Competition Commission and is an independent consultant.
He has wide experience in policy, having started at the Economist Intelligence Unit before moving to Consumers' International before spending a decade at what is now Which?. After leaving Which? Phil moved into consultancy work with Fipra International, with whom he still works as a Special Adviser, working on a wide range of issues and cases. In 2009 Phil was appointed as a member of the Competition Commission Panel system becoming an Inquiry Chair at the then newly created Competition and Markets Authority, in 2014.
The CLF's Advisory Board meets regularly to oversee the activities of the Forum and to offer guidance to the Forum Director on programme development and research. It also has the key responsibility of ensuring that the quality standards of the Forum activities are appropriate to a centre of excellence and commensurate with the Institute's other activities.
The Advisory Board currently comprises:
- Bernardine Adkins, Gowling WLG
- Tim Cowen, Preiskel & Co
- Liza Lovdahl-Gormsen, British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- Jackie Holland, Cleary Gottlieb
- Michael Hutchings, OBE
- Mark Jones, Jones Day
- Peter-Carlo Lehrell , Oxera
- Sir Philip Lowe, Oxera
- Adrian Majumdar, RBB Economics
- Simon Pritchard, Latham & Watkins
- Stephen Wisking, Herbert Smith Freehills
Competition Law Forum members include some of the most expert and experienced lawyers, academics and government officials and international civil servants working on competition law.
Current members of the Competition Law Forum are listed below. The Forum membership is by invitation only. If you would like further details on how to become a member of the Forum, please contact Dr Liza Lovdahl-Gormsen or Phil Evans.
- A&L Goodbody
- Alix Partners
- Allen & Overy
- Analysis Group Ltd
- Anglo American Plc
- Arthur Cox LLP
- BP plc
- Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
- Charles River Associates International
- Cleary Gottlieb
- Compass Lexecon
- Competition Appeal Tribunal
- Competition Markets Authority
- Cornerstone Research
- Debevoise and Plimpton LLP
- FIPRA International
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
- Frontier Economics
- Gowling WLG
- Hausfeld LLP
- Herbert Smith Freehills
- Hogan Lovells
- HSBC Bank plc
- Jones Day
- Latham & Watkins
- Oxera Consulting
- Preiskel & Co
- RBB Economics
- Rolls-Royce plc
- Skadden Arps, Slate Meagher & Flom
- Slaughter & May
- White & Case
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher (UK) LLP
Research Papers and Public Consultations
Below are a selection of research papers produced by the Institute's Competition Law Forum over the last few years.
- Dynamic Competition and Big Tech Mergers
- CLF Submission to the CMA on Online Platforms and Digital Advertising
- Arrangements for citizens residing in the UK and outside the UK in another EU country
- Mergers Exception to the duty to refer in markets of insufficient importance
- Evaluation of Procedural and Jurisdictional Aspects of EU Merger Control
- EU State Aid Law and Transfer Pricing: A Critical Introduction to a New Saga
- BIS consultation: Options to refine the UK competition regime
- The CLF Response to BIS's Consultation on Implementing the EU Directive on damages for breaches of competition law
- Collective dominance: An overview of national case law
- The CLF Response to the European Commission's Consultation Towards more effective EU merger control