"Being a member of BIICL is an essential requirement for any forward-thinking lawyer and for those with an interest in international affairs." Robert McCorquodale, BIICL Director
Membership of BIICL is open to all and enables you to become part of a diverse community of practitioners, scholars and many others with an interest in international and comparative law, and the rule of law. Members are kept informed on BIICL's latest research and developments, with many opportunities to engage in debate and discussion through our programme of topical events, seminars and conferences. Our membership includes judges, lawyers and barristers, government officials, regulators, international civil servants, academics and students, including non-lawyers.
Membership benefits and packages
We offer a number of fantastic membership packages. All members receive a substantial 40% discount on relevant events and BIICL publications, plus access to our renowned journal, International and Comparative Law Quarterly. A summary of benefits for each type of membership is shown in the table below.
Individual Membership is available in three main categories:
- Individual: £160pa or £140pa for online version
- Full-time Academic: £100pa or £85pa for online version
- Full-time Student*: £30pa
* To qualify for student membership you must be a full-time student with at least three months of your course left to study and not in full time employment. Student membership applicants will be required to provide a scanned copy of student ID, to verify full-time student status.
Online International Membership
Online International Membership is only available for those resident outside the UK, for an annual flat-rate fee of £50.
Corporate membership is available to law firms, chambers, companies, not-for-profit organisations, universities and institutions in the UK. It is available at three rates, dependent on the number of partners, members or in-house counsel within the organisation.
- Corporate rate 1: universities and not-for-profit organisations: £500pa
- Corporate rate 2: law firms, chambers, and companies of up to 50 partners/members/in-house counsel: £800pa
- Corporate rate 3: law firms, chambers, and companies of over 50 partners/members/in-house counsel: £1,400pa
Online Direct Debit is the easy and convenient way to pay for your BIICL membership. Your membership subscription comes out of your bank automatically and there's no need to contact us to pay. Plus, you'll get a £10 discount on your membership fee.
Please note that Direct Debits can only be set up by Individual, Academic and Corporate members. You are free to cancel your Direct Debit at any time, if you wish.
Alternatively, click on the button below to pay by credit or debit card.
If preferable, please complete a BIICL Membership Form
Please return the form and payment by Credit Card or cheque (in pounds sterling made payable to "BIICL") by post to: Membership team, British Institute of International and Comparative Law, 17 Russell Square, London WC1B 5JP or by email
Contact the Membership team
For further information about BIICL membership, please contact the Membership team.
Oversight of the Rule of Law in the European Union: Opportunities and Challenges...
CLF Meeting: Competition Litigation and Collective Actions ...
Find out how you can help us address some of the most pressing global challenges.