Date: 4 December 2023
Time: 10.00 - 17.45 (UK time) followed by a reception
Venue: BIICL, Russell Square, London and Online
Business and human rights is an area of international human rights law in continuous development at the international and national levels. On successful completion of BIICL's Business and Human Rights training course participants will:
- Understand the human rights impacts resulting from business activities;
- Be aware of the core concepts and principles established by the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights;
- Understand corporate human rights due diligence requirements and developments at the international, regional, and national levels;
- Understand the context of business and human rights as a field of work.
- During the course participants will consider recent examples of business and human rights issues, including case law.
- Lise Smit, Senior Research Fellow in Business and Human Rights and Director, Human Rights Due Diligence Forum, British Institute of International and Comparative Law (course leader)
- Dr. Irene Pietropaoli, Senior Fellow in Business and Human Rights, British Institute of International and Comparative Law
Who is the course for?
The course is for a wide range of professionals interested in business and human rights, including in-house counsel, legal practitioners, NGO representatives, government representatives, academics, PhD students and other professionals.
Testimonials from past attendees
"Fantastic course! High-level content was delivered in a clear, interesting and engaging way. Fascinating discussions occurred in every session and helpful resources shared throughout."
"Fabulous course, excellently structured and presented, with plenty of opportunity for questions and discussion."
"Very relevant - new developments referred to throughout whole course."
Participants at BIICL short courses are also invited to join exclusive events for trainees following completion of the course.
Pricing and Registration
The course cost is £400 per person (including VAT).
Course format: This is a hybrid course, being offered in person at the BIICL office in Russell Square, London and virtually.
Book to attend this course in person
Book to attend this course online
Member discount: 15% discount for individual members of BIICL
Details of individual memberships at BIICL
- 15% discount for groups of 3 or more attendees from NGO organisations or staff of government
- 15% discount for groups of 5 or more attendees from commercial organisations
To apply for any of the discounted rates, please Contact Us.
The British Institute of International and Comparative Law is committed to equality and opportunity in the legal profession and to support greater engagement of under-represented groups in the legal profession.
In our efforts in this regard we are delighted to offer 3 scholarships for each of our short courses to participants from communities and backgrounds currently under-represented in the legal community.
Applications for training scholarships must be received at least three weeks ahead of the course start date (13 November 2023).
Find out more about training scholarships
Join in the conversation @BIICL #BIICLTraining
This event offers the equivalent of 7 CPD hours.
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.
Please note that our events may be photographed or recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in recordings or photographs, please contact the Events team to let us know ahead of the event.
Event Cancellation Policy
When you register for an event you will be asked to confirm that you have read and understood our cancellation policy.