This course provides participants with an understanding of the legal, regulatory and ethical issues arising in the context of artificial intelligence; an awareness of the way AI and technology operates in the legal sphere, with particular interest in the changing domain of legal service delivery and an understanding of the way in which AI is Governed and Regulated in a comparative perspective. By the end of this course participants will be able to critically assess legal, regulatory and policy developments related to artificial intelligence.
This course is delivered in partnership with the Centre for AI and Data Governance, Singapore Management University (SMU).
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence, Law and Ethics
- Conceptual and critical understandings
- Operation of AI and technology in the legal sphere and its impact
- AI Governance and Regulation
- Analysing emerging ethical issues and challenges in AI deployment in the legal sector
- Looking into the future - disruptive regulation
Download a detailed outline of the course
Download the Timetable
- Prof. Mark Findlay, Centre for AI and Data Governance, Singapore Management University (SMU) and Honorary Senior Fellow, British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- Jane Loo, Centre for AI and Data Governance, Singapore Management University (SMU)
- Willow Wong, Centre for AI and Data Governance, Singapore Management University (SMU)
- Dr. Irene Pietropaoli, British Institute of International and Comparative Law
Who is the course for?
The course would be beneficial for legal practitioners, students, law academics and representatives of governments, civil society organisations and business with a keen interest in AI.
The virtual course format will consist of a series of 10 sessions in which live (synchronous) teaching is offered via Zoom. Participants will be able to interact with the tutors and amongst themselves on screen.
Testimonials from past attendees
"It was very well run and interesting; I feel like I understand this difficult field better. Thank you to all organizers and tutors!"
"Thanks for having me this opportunity. It was great pleasure to learn new things in law, networking and skills building."
"Very happy with this course, I have learned a lot. Thank you!"
Pricing and Registration
The course cost is £775 per person (including VAT).
This event is available for booking but you must be logged in before you can place a booking.Book now
Member discount: 15% discount for individual members of BIICL
Details of individual memberships at BIICL
- 15% discount for groups of 3 or more attendees from NGO organisations or staff of government
- 15% discount for groups of 5 or more attendees from commercial organisations
- To apply for any of the discounted rates, please Contact Us.
The British Institute of International and Comparative Law is committed to equality and opportunity in the legal profession and to support greater engagement of under-represented groups in the legal profession.
In our efforts in this regard we are delighted to offer 3 scholarships for each of our short courses to participants from communities and backgrounds currently under-represented in the legal community.
Applications for training scholarships must be received at least three weeks ahead of the course start date (30 March 2023).
Find out more about training scholarships
Join in the conversation @BIICL #BIICLTraining
This event offers the equivalent of 20 CPD hours.
A certificate of attendance will be issued to participants attending a minimum of 70% of live course session time. Certificates will be sent to course participants within one month of the last session of the course.
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.
Please note that our events may be photographed or recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in recordings or photographs, please contact The Event Team to let us know ahead of the event.
Event Cancellation Policy
When you register for an event you will be asked to confirm that you have read and understood our cancellation policy.