Date: 27th November 2019
Time: 17:30 - 19:30 (registration from 17.00)
BIICL, in conjunction with White & Case, is delighted to present the first comprehensive empirical study on provisional measures in investment treaty arbitration.
The study examines over a hundred of decisions and orders rendered by ICSID, UNCITRAL and other investor-state tribunals. Based on the collected empirical data, it demonstrates the trends and practice on issues such as:
- Criteria used by tribunals to grant provisional measures (e.g., urgency, necessity, irreparable harm) and how they understand them
- Success rate by applicable arbitration rules (ICSID, ICSID Additional Facility, SCC, UNCITRAL)
- Success rate depending on whether the requesting party is state or investor
- Measures requested and success rate (non-aggravation of dispute, stay of local proceedings, preservation of investment, stay of criminal investigation, security for costs, etc.)
- Cases most frequently relied upon by tribunals to render decisions and orders on provisional measures.
To discuss the findings of the study and their implications, the event will bring together leading arbitrators, practitioners and academics.
Hilary Heilbron QC, Brick Court Chambers
- David Goldberg, White & Case
- Gavan Griffith QC, Essex Court Chambers
- Yarik Kryvoi, British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- Ivan Philippov, White & Case
Join the conversation @BIICL #itflaw #ISDS
This event offers the equivalent of 1.5 CPD hours.
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team
Photography and Recording
Please note that our events may be photographed or audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day.
Alternatively you can email BIICL Marketing Manager, Carmel Brown in advance of the event that you are attending.
Event Cancellation Policy
By registering for an event, you have confirmed that you have read and understood our event cancellation policy.