15th April 2019 - 16th April 2019
Venue: BIICL, Charles Clore House, 17 Russell Square, London WC1B 5JP
Course Lead: Professor Yarik Kryvoi, Senior Research Fellow in International Economic Law
Public International Law in Practice is a dynamic course of applied public international law run by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. The two-day programme is focused on current developments in public international law and their application in national and international litigation, in governmental and international policy-making and in international legal and diplomatic practice.
Led by many of the Institute's leading researchers and practitioners, the course is designed to give a concise introduction to key issues across a broad range of areas of public international law - from the nature of international law to international law in armed conflict, from human rights to international investment law.
Indicative topics and speakers
- Legal Foundations of Public International Law, Robert McCorquodale, University of Nottingham
- International Human Rights Law, Kristin Hausler, Dorset Senior Research Fellow in Public International Law
- International Investment Law, Yarik Kryvoi, Senior Research Fellow in International Economic Law
- International Trade Law, Markus Gehring, Fellow, Lauterpacht Centre for International Law and Member of BIICL
- International Law Concerning Armed Conflict, Shehzad Charania, Director/Deputy Head of Office, Attorney General's Office
- Business and Human Rights, Lise Smit, Senior Research Fellow in Business and Human Rights, and Robert McCorquodale, University of Nottingham
- International Migration and Refugee Law, Jean-Pierre Gauci, Senior Research Fellow in Public International Law
- International Environmental Law, Markus Gehring, Fellow, Lauterpacht Centre for International Law and Member of BIICL
View the Course Timetable
Join the conversation for this event @BIICL #PIL2019
Who is the course for?
The course is ideal for those in the early and middle years of legal practice, those working in governmental and non-governmental organisations with legal elements to their work, those moving legal practice areas, and students who are studying for a postgraduate degree which includes aspects of international law.
This course is unique in that it introduces participants to public international law as it arises in practice in a concise and engaging way. It includes the core elements of public international law, such as treaties, customary international law, state responsibilities and immunities, international human rights law, international humanitarian law, international environmental law, and international economic law, as well as how international law is dealt with in national law and in terms of dispute settlement.
Testimonials from past course attendees
"A great introduction to many aspects of international law with very knowledgeable speakers... "
"Bound course book really helpful.."
"An extremely helpful course! And importantly the speakers were able to answer our questions"
"Very interesting and comprehensive course. It covered a lot in the two days."
"Absolutely fantastic course, thank you..."
Fees and applying
The course fee is £480 (incl. VAT).
Group booking discount
- A 15% discount applies if four or more people from the same company register.
- A 30% discount will apply to third sector organisations booking two or more places.
To book using the group booking discounts please contact the Events team.
The course is worth the equivalent of 12 CPD hours.
Photography and audio recording
Please note that our events may be photographed or audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively you can email BIICL Marketing Manager, Carmel Brown, in advance of the event that you are attending.
Event Cancellation Policy
By registering for an event, you have confirmed that you have read and understood our event cancellation policy.
Available for booking
You must be logged in to book an event.