Professor Yarik Kryvoi is the Senior Research Fellow in International Economic Law and Director of the Investment Treaty Forum. Prof Kryvoi's expertise is primarily in the areas of international dispute resolution, including investor-state arbitration and international commercial arbitration, international administrative law and international public law.
In addition to his role at the BIICL, he is a Professor of Law at the University of West London (part-time) and teaches arbitration at the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He has several years of experience practising international dispute resolution with Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in London, Morgan Lewis & Bockius in Washington, DC and Baker & McKenzie in Saint Petersburg.
He has advised governments, international organisations and major international corporations on issues of international commercial law and dispute resolution and worked on cases decided under ICSID, UNCITRAL, ICC, LCIA and SCC rules.
In addition to his research and legal practice experience, Professor Kryvoi has significant experience managing major law reform projects and assessments in different countries (including post-Socialist) on matters of the rule of law, regulatory policy, business environment, international and comparative law, commercial arbitration and investor-State disputes.
He is the founding editor of the CIS Arbitration Forum and serves on editorial boards of several international legal periodicals, including International Legal Materials published by the American Society for International Law.
Professor Kryvoi is a former Co-Chair of the ABA International Courts and Tribunals Committee and has also has served as a part-time counsel for the Economic Court of the Commonwealth of Independent States advising on issues of international administrative law.
He holds law degrees from Harvard, Moscow, Nottingham, Utrecht and St Petersburg. He is admitted to practice in the State of New York.
His works have been cited by the European and UK Parliament, international organisations and think tanks. Some of his publications relevant to international dispute resolution include:
- 'Economic Crimes in International Investment Law', International and Comparative Law Quarterly (forthcoming, 2018).
- Arbitration in the CIS Region, Kluwer Law International (2017)
- International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes, Kluwer Law International, 3rd edition (2016)
- 'The Law Applied by International Administrative Tribunals: From Autonomy to Hierarchy', George Washington International Law Review 47, 267-301 (2015)
- 'Consent Awards in International Arbitration', Brooklyn Journal of International Law 40 (3), 827-868 (2015)
- 'Counterclaims in Investor-State Arbitration', Minnesota Journal of International Law 21, 216-252 (2012)
- 'Piercing the Corporate Veil in International Arbitration', Global Business Law Review 1, 169 (2010).