Professor Yarik Kryvoi is the Senior Research Fellow in International Economic Law and Director of the Investment Treaty Forum. Prof Kryvoi's expertise is primarily in the areas of international dispute resolution, including investor-state arbitration and international commercial arbitration, international administrative law and international public law.
In addition to his role at the BIICL, he is a Professor of Law at the University of West London (part-time) and teaches arbitration at the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He has several years of experience practicing international dispute resolution with Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in London, Morgan Lewis & Bockius in Washington, DC and Baker & McKenzie in Saint Petersburg.
He has advised governments, international organisations and major international corporations on issues of international commercial law and dispute resolution and worked on cases decided under ICSID, UNCITRAL, ICC, LCIA and SCC rules.
He is the founding editor of the CIS Arbitration Forum and serves on editorial boards of several international legal periodicals, including International Legal Materials published by the American Society for International Law.
Professor Kryvoi is a former Co-Chair of the ABA International Courts and Tribunals Committee and has also has served as a part-time counsel for the Economic Court of the Commonwealth of Independent States advising on issues of international administrative law.
He holds law degrees from Harvard, Moscow, Nottingham, Utrecht and St Petersburg. He is admitted to practice in the State of New York.
His works has been cited by the European and UK Parliament, international organisations and think tanks. Some of his publications relevant to international dispute resolution include:
- Arbitration in the CIS Region, Kluwer Law International (forthcoming, 2017)
- International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes, Kluwer Law International, 3rd edition (2016)
- The Law Applied by International Administrative Tribunals: From Autonomy to Hierarchy, George Washington International Law Review 47, 267-301 (2015)
- Consent Awards in International Arbitration, Brooklyn Journal of International Law 40 (3), 827-868 (2015)
- Counterclaims in Investor-State Arbitration, Minnesota Journal of International Law 21, 216-252 (2012)
- Piercing the Corporate Veil in International Arbitration, Global Business Law Review 1, 169 (2010).
6 October 2017...
Find out how you can help us address some of the most pressing global challenges.