Jones Day named 'Supporter of the Year' by BIICL
The British Institute of International and Comparative Law (BIICL) has presented its 'Supporter of the Year' award to global law firm, Jones Day, at the BIICL Annual Grotius Dinner held on Monday 21 March at the Law Society.
Established in 2012, the 'Supporter of the Year' Award recognises major support given to the Institute by an organisation or individual. As an independent legal research organisation, BIICL relies heavily on funding from law firms, corporations, international bodies, foundations, individuals and others.
The Jones Day Foundation is supporting the Global Rule of Law Exchange, an innovative, multi-year partnership between the law firm and BIICL's Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law. The Exchange promotes development and the rule of law internationally, through research, a programme of international events and other activities.
The Exchange's first annual conference will be held in São Paulo, Brazil, on 18 and 19 April 2016 and is jointly organised with Getulio Vargas Foundation and the Jones Day Foundation. The conference will consider a number of urgent and current issues relating to the rule of law in Latin America including corruption, the conduct of trials and ways to ensure judicial independence. For more information visit www.binghamcentre.biicl.org/ruleoflawexchange/brazil2016
The award was presented by Andrea Coomber, Director of Justice and BIICL Trustee, to John Phillips, Partner in Charge at Jones Day's London office.
Sarah Taylor, Development Director at BIICL said: "We are delighted to present this award to Jones Day. Our partnership on the Global Rule of Law Exchange represents a significantly new way of working with our donors. It will allow both organisations to lead the debate on this most important of drivers of global development."
John Phillips said: "Jones Day is committed to promoting the advancement of the rule of law and has worked on individual rule of law projects in dozens of countries all over the world. We are therefore delighted to be able to work with the Bingham Centre and to be able, through the Jones Day Foundation, to have assisted in the creation of the Global Rule of Law Exchange. We have important work to do together and we are looking forward to our first major conference in Sao Paolo next month".
Further details on BIICL's fundraising activities can be found at www.biicl.org/support-us
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Claudia Mansaray, BIICL Marketing Manager:
T: 020 7862 5435 / E: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTES TO EDITORS:
- The Annual Grotius Lecture and Dinner is organised by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law (BIICL), and sponsored by Nabarro and Shell. The event took place on 21 March 2016 at The Law Society, 113 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1PL.
- The British Institute of International and Comparative Law (BIICL) provides informed, independent and practical legal ideas for a global community. Its high quality and respected work involves analysis and debate about contemporary issues on every continent, from its base in the heart of London's energetic and multicultural legal network. BIICL is one of the very few independent legal bodies of its type in the world. (Registered Charity No. 209425. Company Registration 615025). For more information visit www.biicl.org
- BIICL established a "Sponsor of the Year Award" in 2012. The name was changed to 'Supporter of the Year' in 2015. This award recognises major support given to the Institute by an individual or organisation, and is awarded each year at the BIICL Annual Grotius Dinner.
- BIICL is an independent charity not affiliated to any University or governmental body, and is therefore reliant for its work on income from its activities and donations of this kind. For further details, and information on how to contribute to the work of the Institute in this area and its other important areas, please contact Sarah Taylor, Development Director at email@example.com
- The Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law is a constituent part of BIICL. The Bingham Centre was launched in December 2010 to honour the work and career of Lord Bingham of Cornhill - a great judge and passionate advocate of the rule of law. The Centre is dedicated to the study, promotion and enhancement of the rule of law worldwide. It does this by defining the rule of law as a universal and practical concept, highlighting threats to the rule of law, conducting high quality research and training, and providing rule of law capacity-building to enhance economic development, political stability and human dignity: www.binghamcentre.biicl.org
- Jones Day is a global law firm with 43 offices in major centers of business and finance throughout the world. Its unique governance system fosters an unparalleled level of integration and contributes to its perennial ranking as among the best in the world in client service. Jones Day provides significant legal representation for almost half of the Fortune 500, Fortune Global 500, and FT Global 500. www.jonesday.com