Date: 2nd May 2019
Time: 14:00 - 18:00
Time: 14:00-18:10 (Registration 13:30)
Followed by a drinks reception
Venue: Institute of Directors, 116 Pall Mall, London, SW1Y 5ED
The digital economy continues to deliver huge opportunities for business and consumers, but challenges for authorities charged with promoting competitive markets and protecting consumers. Our panel of experts will discuss the implications of recent influential reports for all stakeholders active on digital markets and companies looking to digitise their businesses.
Merger control is also in the spotlight, as authorities test the impact of deals on potential competition and innovation in rapidly changing markets, and face political pressure from some quarters to take wider industrial policy consideration into account in their decision making. How will merger control adapt? Should we expect new rules and standards of review? And to what extent have authorities already changed their thresholds for intervention?
Looking ahead, we will discuss how global economic and political dynamics will shape antitrust policy in the next 10 years. How will governments and authorities respond to mounting pressure for new legislative tools and tougher enforcement, and how should businesses prepare?
- Nicholas Banasevic, Head of Unit (Antitrust - IT, internet and consumer electronics), DG Competition, European Commission
- Rod Carlton, Partner, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
- Saar Dierckens, Senior Competition Counsel, Siemens AG
- Professor Amelia Fletcher, Professor of Competition Policy, UEA, member of the Digital Competition Expert Panel
- Ethel Fonseca, Partner, RBB Economics
- Professor Jason Furman, Chair of the Digital Competition Expert Panel
- Andrea Gomes da Silva, Executive Director, Markets and Mergers, Competition and Markets
- Tim Lamb, Competition Counsel, Facebook
- Chris Riley, Head of Public Policy, Mozilla
- Adrian Majumdar, Partner, RBB Economics
- Yves-Alexandre de Montjoye, Assistant Professor, Imperial College London, Special Adviser to Commissioner Vestager
- Deirdre Trapp, Partner, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
- Hans Zenger, Deputy Coordinator Mergers, Chief Economist Team, DG Competition, European Commission
View the Programme
This event is convened by Dr Liza Lovdahl Gormsen, Director, Competition Law Forum and Senior Research Fellow, BIICL
Join in the conversation @BIICL #merger16
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED
Photography and audio recording
Please note that our events may be photographed or audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively, you can email BIICL Marketing Manager, Carmel Brown in advance of the event that you are attending.
Event Cancellation Policy
By registering for an event, you have confirmed that you have read and understood our event cancellation policy.