Time: 18:00-19:30 (Registration from 17:30)
Venue: Supreme Court of Western Australia, Stirling Gardens Barrack Street, Perth, WA 6000 Australia
The Uluru Statement from the Heart that emerged from the 2017 National Constitutional Convention of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples called for the establishment of a First Nations Voice enshrined in the Constitution, as well as the establishment of a Makarrata commission to progress treaty negotiations and to take responsibility for truth-telling. The Referendum Council's final report supported that call.
This event brings together leading voices to examine these landmark calls. It will consider the legal, constitutional and practical dimensions of the Referendum Council's proposal, the effects of pursuing (and not pursuing) such proposals, and the prospects and challenges for constitutional change.
This event is convened by the Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law, jointly with the School of Law and the School of Indigenous Studies at the University of Western Australia, the Constitutional Centre of Western Australia, and global law firm Jones Day.
- The Hon Robert S French AC, Former Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia
- The Hon Wayne Martin AC, Chief Justice of Western Australia (Opening Remarks)
- Professor Megan Davis, Pro Vice Chancellor Indigenous & Professor of Law, University of New South Wales
- Associate Professor Sarah Murray, Deputy Head of UWA School of Law
Additional speakers TBA
1. What time does the event commence?
Registration is from 5:30pm. The event commences at 6:00pm, and will run until approximately 7.30. It will be followed by a small reception.
2. Are there ID requirements to enter the event?
As this event will be held at the Supreme Court, you may be asked for proof of ID. Please be sure to bring this with you.
3. How can I contact the organiser with any questions?
Queries can be sent to Mat Tromme.
4. Is my registration fee or ticket transferable?
Yes, it is free. Please update the name on your ticket if you wish to transfer it to someone else.
Pricing and Registration
Free to attend. Advance online registration is required through Eventbrite.