Date: 13 March 2024
Time: 13.00 - 15.00 (UK time)
Venue: BIICL, Russell Square, London, WC1B 5JP and Online
Since September 2023, with a grant by the Laudes Foundation, BIICL has been carrying out a project aimed at producing evidence of internal corporate responses to mandatory Human Rights and Environmental Due Diligence (mHREDD) legal models, to inform the design and implementation of more effective mHREDD laws. Through desk-based research and anonymous interviews with practitioners, we are in the process of investigating, comparing, and analysing the effects of the legislative mHREDD models of France, Germany, and the EU on internal corporate behaviour.
At this roundtable we will share our initial findings and hear feedback from a variety of key stakeholders, including companies, legal practitioners, and civil society.
Dr. Irene Pietropaoli, BIICL
- Jasmine Elliott, BIICL
- Dr. Claire Bright, NOVA School of Law
- Prof. Andreas Rühmkorf, Westfälische Hochschule
Points of Discussion
Based on our initial findings, points of discussion for this roundtable will include:
- Challenges in internal implementation of mHREDD laws, including lack of resources, lack of availability of needed data, implementation through the value chain
- Vagueness within the current and proposed laws that need clarification
- Convergences and divergences in the laws and what that means for implementation
- Opportunities for alignment within future mHREDD laws and with the UNGPs' principles
- Missed opportunities for advancing business and human rights standards in the current laws
This is a closed event, by invitation only. If you wish to participate, please contact Jasmine Elliott.
This event offers the equivalent of 2 CPD hours.
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.
Please note that our events may be photographed or recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in recordings or photographs, please contact the Events team to let us know ahead of the event.
Event Cancellation Policy
When you register for an event you will be asked to confirm that you have read and understood our cancellation policy.