Date: 5 - 9 February 2024
Time: See programme
Venue: Law Faculty of the University of Basel, Switzerland and online
The Basel Winter Arbitration School will take place on 5-9 February 2024 at the Law Faculty of the University of Basel in Switzerland. It will also be possible to attend the school in an online format.
The school will feature an interactive five-day programme introducing participants to different types of public, private and hybrid arbitration and related practice development and career opportunities. Young practitioners and graduate students working in the field of dispute resolution will particularly benefit from this programme.
The University of Basel, founded in 1460, is the oldest university in Switzerland. The school will feature prominent arbitration practitioners and academics covering different arbitration topics and will include speakers from international arbitration institutions headquartered in Switzerland and other countries.
The Winter School curriculum includes classes on:
Key arbitration frameworks:
- UNCLOS arbitration
- International commercial arbitration
- Business and human rights arbitration (The Hague Rules)
- Investor-State arbitration
- Arbitration and mediation at the World Intellectual Property Organisation
- Arbitration in sports
- State-State institutional adjudication
- The conceptual foundations of international adjudication
- Transparency and confidentiality in international arbitration
- Diversity in arbitration
Key arbitration skills and career opportunities:
- Oral and written skills in arbitration
- Panel discussion with practitioners: careers in international arbitration
Confirmed faculty members include:
- Prof. Dr. iur. Anna Petrig, LL.M. (Harvard), Chair of International Law and Public Law at the University of Basel
- Prof. Dr. Yarik Kryvoi, LL.M. (Harvard), Senior Fellow in International Economic Law and Director of the Investment Treaty Forum at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law (London)
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Anne Peters, LL.M. (Harvard), Director at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law in Heidelberg
- Judge Liesbeth Lijnzaad, LL.M. (Amsterdam). Judge at the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (Hamburg) and Professor of Practice of International Law (Maastricht)
- Martin Doe, BCL (McGill), Deputy Secretar-General and Principal Legal Counsel at Permanent Court of Arbitration (the Hague)
- Ignacio de Castro, LL.M. (King's College London), Director of IP Disputes and External Relations Division, WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Centre (Geneva)
- Dr. iur. Dražen Petrović, LL.M. (EUI Florence), former Registrar of the Administrative Tribunal of the International Labour Organization
- Dr. iur Christopher Boog, FCIArb, FSIArb, Partner, Vice-Chair of the International Arbitration Practice Group and co-head the Sports Practice at Schellenberg Wittmer (Singapore and Zurich)
- Dr. iur Bernd Ehle, LL.M (Northwestern), Partner, LALIVE
The provisional programme of the Basel Winter Arbitration School with confirmed speakers is available here.
A limited number of tuition waiver scholarships will be allocated by partners of Arbitration Lab on the basis of merit. Please read more here.
To read more and apply to attend the 2024 Basel Winter Arbitration School, please visit this website.
For any additional information, please contact email@example.com.