BIICL is proud to be once again a co-convenor of the London Conference on International Law. In 2019 the inaugural London Conference on International Law brought together international law academics, judges, practitioners, representatives of civil society, business-leaders, and other stakeholders to see how States and all other actors engage with international law.
2022 marks the return of the London Conference with the theme: States in Emergency, International Law at a Time of Reckoning. The 2022 London Conference on International Law will thus examine the opportunities and challenges that crises and emergencies present, as well as address the following questions:
- What is the role of international law in dealing with crises and emergencies?
- What is the impact of crises and emergencies on the international legal order?
- Is international law fit for purpose when faced with crises and emergencies?
- Do crises and emergencies help shape a more responsive international law?
- Addressing the Climate Emergency: From COPs to Courts
- Legal and Political Reactions to Crises: the Role of Sanctions
- International Settlement of Disputes in a Time of Crises
- Ethical Challenges to the Legal Profession in Situations of Emergency
- Protection of Human Rights during Crises
- Threats at and to the Sea and Legal Responses in Emergency
- Cyberwarfare and other Challenges to the Law of Armed Conflict
- Human and Collective Security
- International Criminal Law and the Politics of Impunity
- International Economic Law in an enduring period of Economic Crisis
- Formation and Development of International Law in Times of Emergency
- ISDS and International Investment Law responding to Crises
Conference Speakers include:
- Sarah H. Cleveland, Professor of Human and Constitutional Rights, Columbia Law School
- Rt Hon Michael Ellis KC MP, HM Attorney General for England and Wales
- Judge Yuji Iwasawa, Judge of the International Court of Justice
- Karim A. A. Khan KC, Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court
- Professor Christine Chinkin, Executive Chair of the International Law Association
- Miguel de Serpa Soares, Under-Secretary-General for Legal Affairs and UN Legal Counsel, United Nations
- Professor Dapo Akande, Professor of Public International Law, University of Oxford
- Rt Hon Lady Arden of Heswall DBE, former Justice of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom
- Judge Liesbeth Lijnzaad, Judge of International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea
- Professor Philippe Sands KC, Professor of public understanding of law at University College London, Visiting Professor of Law at Harvard Law School
- Judge Tomas Heidar, Vice-President of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea
- Professor Diane Desierto, Professor of International Law and Global Affairs, University of Notre Dame Law School, USA
- Professor Christina Voigt, University of Oslo, Norway
- Sir Michael Wood, International Law Commission
- Professor Lavanya Rajamani, Professor of International Environmental Law, University of Oxford
- Professor Alina Miron, Professor of International Law, University of Angers
- Rt Hon Lord Carnwath of Notting Hill, former Justice of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom