Date: 6 - 11 February 2022
Venue: online and Law Faculty of the University of Basel, Switzerland
The Basel Winter Arbitration School will take place on 6 - 11 February 2022 at the Law Faculty of the University of Basel, Switzerland's oldest university. It will also be possible to attend the school in the online format.
The school will feature prominent arbitration practitioners and academics covering different types of public, private and hybrid arbitration topics, and will include speakers from international arbitration institutions headquartered in Switzerland and other countries.
The school will feature an interactive six-day programme introducing participants to different types of public, private and hybrid arbitration as well as related practice development and career opportunities.
The Winter School curriculum includes classes on:
- procedural aspects of key international dispute resolution institutions, including Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA), UNCLOS arbitration, The Hague Rules on Business and Human Rights, investor-state arbitration, international commercial arbitration, arbitration and mediation at the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO)
- transparency, digitalization, and diversity aspects of international dispute resolution
- oral and written advocacy skills as well as careers in arbitration.
Confirmed faculty members include:
- Prof. Anna Petrig, University of Basel
- Prof. Yarik Kryvoi, British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- Prof. Anne Peters, Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law
- Judge Liesbeth Lijnzaad, International Tribunal Law of the Sea
- Martin Doe, Senior Legal Counsel at Permanent Court of Arbitration
- Ignacio de Castro, WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Centre
- Dr. Veijo Heiskanen, LALIVE
- Dr. iur Christopher Boog, Schellenberg Wittmer
- Dr. iur Dražen Petrović, Registrar of the ILO Administrative Tribunal
- Prof. Dr. iur August Reinischeinisch, Professor of International and European Law at the University of Vienna
- Jiries Saadeh, Partner at Fietta LLP,
Learning at the Winter School will involve:
- acquiring theoretical and practical arbitration skills in various fields of adjudication
- gaining knowledge on key transversal topics and practical skills
- networking opportunities with top academics, practitioners and international civil servants
- better understanding of various career paths in international arbitration
- exposure to novel teaching methods and a collection of teaching materials
- certificate of attendance.