On 22 October 2021, the Investment Treaty Forum brings together senior practitioners, arbitrators, academics and other experts to discuss time limits in international investment law. The topics will include retroactive application of law, application of treaties before entry into force (including provisional application), continuous breaches, the applicability of commercial law statutes of limitation in ISDS, sunset clauses in international investment agreements, and the consequences of mutually agreed termination of treaties.
Join the discussion @BIICL #ITFlaw #ISDS
09:00 - 09:10
Prof Yarik Kryvoi, British Institute of International and Comparative Law, London
09:10 - 10:00
Keynote address: Prof Kaj Hobér, Uppsala University and 3 Verulam Buildings, Sweden
Time limits in international investment law
10:00 - 11:30
Panel 1: Jurisdiction ratione temporis of investment tribunals
- Chair: Prof Nicolas Angelet, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels
- Graham Coop, Volterra Fietta, Brussels - Application of treaties before their entry into force including provisional application
- Katia Finkel, Baker McKenzie, London - Jurisdiction ratione temporis and corporate restructuring
- Alexander Slade, Vinson & Elkins, London - Duration of ISDS proceedings: reform proposals and practical tips
11:30 - 11:45 - Networking break
11:45 - 13:15
Panel 2: Time limits and substantive protections
- Chair: Ishita Pant, Energy Charter Treaty Secretariat, Brussels
- Christophe Bondy, Steptoe & Johnson, London - Jurisdiction Ratione Temporis and Substantive Protection Ratione Temporis
- Cameron Forsaith, Eversheds, London - Application of treaties to existing and pre-existing disputes
- Danielle Morris, WilmerHale, Washington, DC - The effect of withdrawal from ICSID on ratione temporis jurisdiction of tribunals
13:15 - 14:00 - Lunch break
14:00 - 15:30
Panel 3: Retroactivity, sunset clauses and treaty termination
- Chair: Norah Gallagher, Queen Mary University of London
- Joachim Pohl, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Paris - Temporal validity of investment treaties
- Nick Gallus, LK Law, Adelaide - The non-retroactivity presumption and retroactive application of law
- Nick Lawn, Van Bael & Bellis, London - Consequences of mutually agreed termination of treaties, including on sunset clauses
15:30 - 15:45 - Networking break
15:45 - 17:15
Panel 4: Time limits and quantum
- Chair: Sabine Konrad, Morgan Lewis, Frankfurt am Main
- Thayananthan Baskaran, Baskaran, Kuala Lumpur - Time value of money
- Ina Popova, Debevoise & Plimpton, New York - Date for establishing market price
- Roula Harfouche, HKA, London - Pre-award interest and the date of damages assessment
17:15 - 17:30
Vaughan Lowe QC, Essex Court Chambers and University of Oxford, Oxford
This event offers the equivalent of 7 CPD hours.
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.
Please note that our events may be photographed or recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in recordings or photographs, please contact The Event Team to let us know ahead of the event.
Event Cancellation Policy
By registering for an event, you have confirmed that you have read and understood our event cancellation policy.