Date: 27 October, 3, 10, 17, 24 November 2021
Time: 11.00 - 13.00 (UK time)
Business and human rights is an area of international human rights law in continuous development at the international and national levels. On successful completion of BIICL's Business and Human Rights training course participants will:
- Understand the human rights impacts resulting from business activities;
- Be aware of the core concepts and principles established by the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights;
- Understand corporate human rights due diligence requirements and developments at the international, regional, and national levels;
- Understand the context of business and human rights as a field of work.
- During the course participants will consider recent examples of business and human rights issues, including case law.
- Lise Smit, British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- Dr. Irene Pietropaoli, British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- Dr. Claire Bright, Nova University of Lisbon
Additional course tutors to be announced
Lise Smit, Senior Research Fellow in Business and Human Rights and Director, Human Rights Due Diligence Forum.
Who is the course for?
The course is for a wide range of professionals interested in business and human rights, including in-house counsel, legal practitioners, NGO representatives, government representatives, academics, PhD students and other professionals.
Testimonials from past attendees
"Fantastic course! High-level content was delivered in a clear, interesting and engaging way. Fascinating discussions occurred in every session and helpful resources shared throughout."
"Fabulous course, excellently structured and presented, with plenty of opportunity for questions and discussion."
"Very relevant - new developments referred to throughout whole course."
The virtual course format will consist of a series of five 2 hours sessions in which live (synchronous) teaching is offered via Zoom. Participants will be able to interact with the tutors and amongst themselves on screen.
Pricing and Registration
This course is now fully booked.
Student Member Discount: 15% discount for student members of BIICL~
Details of student membership
- 15% discount for groups of 3 or more attendees from NGO organisations or staff of government
- 15% discount for groups of 5 or more attendees from commercial organisations
To apply for any of the discounted rates please Contact Us
The British Institute of International and Comparative Law is committed to equality and opportunity in the legal profession and to support greater engagement of under-represented groups in the legal profession.
In our efforts in this regard we are delighted to offer 3 scholarships for each of our short courses to participants from communities and backgrounds currently under-represented in the legal community. Find out more about training scholarships.
Join in the conversation @BIICL #BIICLbizhumanrights
This event offers the equivalent of 10 CPD hours.
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.
Please note that our events may be photographed or recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in recordings or photographs, please contact The Event Team to let us know ahead of the event.
Event Cancellation Policy
When you register for an event you will be asked to confirm that you have read and understood our cancellation policy.