Date: Eight Sessions: 13, 20, 27 April, 4, 11, 18, 25 May and 1 June 2021
Time: 13.00 - 15.00 (UK time)
This online course offers a comprehensive overview of climate change law and the legal responses to the current climate crisis. Bringing together a distinguished cohort of scholars and practitioners, the course is designed to provide participants with a working knowledge of the relevant legal frameworks as well as to enhance their understanding of the way climate change impacts other areas of international law including territory, human rights, trade and investment
By the end of the course, participants will:
- Have a clear understanding of the principal elements of International and Comparative Climate Change Law;
- Have a comprehension of the complex (scientific, economic, political and legal) framework of climate change issues;
- Better understand the international regime and the global governance of climate change, including as it relates to other areas of international law;
- Be able to critically assess the legal tools and principles related to climate change;
- Be able to analyse the principal challenges relating to the implementation and compliance of climate change law;
- Be able to identify national and international initiatives and opportunities for climate change action.
- United Nations climate change regime
- Principles of climate change law
- Climate change legal mechanisms
- Climate change litigation
- Territory, sovereignty and climate change
- Migration and climate change
- Business, human rights and climate change
- Trade, investment and climate change
Ivano Alogna, Arthur Watts Research Fellow in Environmental and Climate Change Law, British Institute of International and Comparative Law.
The virtual course format will consist of a series of eight 2 hours sessions in which live (synchronous) teaching is offered via Zoom. Participants will be able to interact with the tutors and amongst themselves on screen.
Pricing and Registration
THIS COURSE IS NOW FULLY BOOKED. Dates for future courses will be announced shortly. Please contact the Events team to register your interest.
Course fee: £550 (including VAT)
We are conscious of the many challenges posed by the current crisis and are seeking to do our part to support people preparing for the legal market in the days after the crisis. In view of this, we are offering a 15% discount on our courses to anyone for whom the current situation has resulted in reduced or precarious employment.
Moreover, in our effort to support greater engagement of under-represented groups in the legal profession, we are offering the same discount to people from such groups who take these courses.
Student Member Discount: 15% discount for student members of BIICL
Details of student membership
- 30% discount for groups of 3 or more attendees from NGO organisations or staff of government
- 15% discount for groups of 4 or more attendees from commercial organisations
To apply for any of the discounted rates please Contact Us
Join in the conversation @BIICL #BIICLClimateChangeLaw
This event offers the equivalent of 16 CPD hours.
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.
Photography and Recording
Please note that our events may be photographed or audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day.
Alternatively you can email BIICL Marketing Manager, Carmel Brown in advance of the event that you are attending.
Event Cancellation Policy
When you register for an event you will be asked to confirm that you have read and understood our cancellation policy.