Date: 8-9 October 2020 (previously 21-22 May 2020)
Time: 09.30-19:00 (registration from 09:00)
This two-day short course offers a comprehensive overview of climate change law and the legal responses to the current climate crisis. Bringing together a distinguished cohort of scholars and practitioners, the course is designed to provide participants with a working knowledge of the relevant legal frameworks as well as to enhance their understanding of the way climate change impacts other areas of international law including territory, human rights, trade and investment.
By the end of the course, participants will:
- Have a clear understanding of the principal elements of International and Comparative Climate Change Law;
- Have a comprehension of the complex (scientific, economic, political and legal) framework of climate change issues;
- Better understand the international regime and the global governance of climate change, including as it relates to other areas of international law;
- Be able to critically assess the legal tools and principles related to climate change;
- Be able to analyse the principal challenges relating to the implementation and compliance of climate change law;
- Be able to identify national and international initiatives and opportunities for climate change action.
Indicative course topics:
- The complexity of climate change law through science, politics and international law
- The evolution of the United Nations climate change regime
- The principles related to climate change
- The climate change legal mechanisms
- Multi-level climate governance
- Territory, sovereignty and climate change
- Human rights and climate change
- Migration and climate change
- Trade, investment and climate change
- Climate change litigation
Ivano Alogna, Arthur Watts Research Fellow in Environmental and Climate Change Law, British Institute of International and Comparative Law.
Pricing and registration
The course fee is £550 (incl. VAT). Please note that member discounts are not available on BIICL training courses, see below for group booking discount.
This event is available for booking but you must be logged in before you can place a booking.Book now
Group booking discount
- A 15% discount applies if four or more people from the same company register
- A 30% discount will apply to third sector organisations booking three or more places
To book using the group booking discounts please contact Events team.
Join the conversation @BIICL #BIICLClimateChangeLaw
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.
Photography and Recording
Please note that our events may be photographed or audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day.
Alternatively you can email BIICL Marketing Manager, Carmel Brown in advance of the event that you are attending.
Event Cancellation Policy
By registering for an event, you have confirmed that you have read and understood our event cancellation policy.