Date: 18th September 2019
Time: 16:30 - 18:00
This joint event of the British Institute of International and Comparative Law and the Belarusian State University will focus on complexities of representing the interests of states in international proceedings, with a particular focus on investor-State disputes. The roundtable discussion will cover the following questions:
- What makes representing interests of States different compared to representing commercial entities?
- What are the challenges of simultaneously working with lawyers in different jurisdictions and time zones?
- Differences between approaches of common and civil law lawyer to various issues
- Different strategies States follow in repressing their interests (hiring external law firms, doing most of work in-house)
- What makes investor-State disputes different from other disputes?
- What qualities lawyers need to have to succeed?
- What opportunities exist for law students and recent graduates to enter this field (internship, law firms, government, international organisations)
- Prof Yarik Kryvoi, Director of the Investment Treaty Forum, BIICL (chair)
- Dr Elena Babkina, Belarusian State University and Counsel, Sorainen
- Mr Eduard Martynenko, Ministry of Justice of Belarus
- Ms Anastasia Pavliuchenko, Revera, Belarus
- Ms Julia Zagonek, White & Case, Russia
Please note that the event will be held in Russian
Event convened by Prof Yarik Kryvoi, Senior Research Fellow in International Economic Law and Director of the Investment Treaty Forum.
Join the conversation @BIICL #itflaw
Photography and Recording
Please note that our events may be photographed or audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day.
Alternatively you can email BIICL Marketing Manager, Carmel Brown in advance of the event that you are attending.
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.