The conference will address challenges of valuation of damages in international investment law. The speakers will include a mix of law firm partners, independent arbitrators, academics and valuation experts.
Topics covered include:
- What makes valuation in investor-State disputes different from commercial arbitration (involvement of sovereigns, country risk premiums, expropriation compensation and claims for less than full value, the social impact)
- Proving damages (reasonably proven and speculative losses, the burden of proof, "best evidence", the impact of hindsight information)
- Quantification of damages (differences between "full reparation," "full compensation" and "fair market value", other valuation standards, valuation methods used in recent awards)
- The effect of contributory negligence
- Moral damages and other issues.
- Juan Fernández-Armesto, Armesto & Asociados (keynote address)
- Arif Ali, Dechert LLP
- Antolín Fernández Antuña, Antuña & Partners
- Christina Beharry, Foley Hoag LLP
- Ronnie Barnes, Cornerstone Research
- Christophe Bondy, Cooley LLP
- Jeffery Commission, Burford Capital LLC
- Diane Desierto, University of Notre Dame
- Marcos D. Garcia Dominguez, University of Chicago
- John Elisson, FTI Consulting Inc.
- Philip Haberman, Haberman Ilett LLP and BIICL Board of Trustees
- David Herlihy, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Prof Yarik Kryvoi, Investment Treaty Forum Director
- Aron Skogman, Mannheimer Swartling Advokatbyrå AB
- Huawei Sun, Zhong Lun Law Firm
Join the conversation @BIICL #itflaw #ISDS
Pricing & Registration
For all other attendees the following fees apply:
- Individual: £235
- Concession: £185
- Student: £185
- Individual: £395
- Concession: £305
- Student: £305
Please note that Concession fees are applicable to academics, staff of government and NGOs.
This event is available for booking but you must be logged in before you can place a booking.Book now
This event offers the equivalent of 7 CPD hours.
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.
Photography and Recording
Please note that our events may be photographed or audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day.
Alternatively you can email BIICL Marketing Manager, Carmel Brown in advance of the event that you are attending.
Event Cancellation Policy
By registering for an event, you have confirmed that you have read and understood our event cancellation policy.