Date: 29th June 2019
Time: 09:00 - 18:00
Venue: King's College London, The Dickson Poon School of Law
Strand, LONDON, WC2R 2LS
Time: 09.30-17.30 (registration from 09.00)
Venue: King's College London, Bush House, 30 Aldwych, London, WC2B 4BG
Now in its 58th year, this year's London-Leiden conference will discuss the role of the European Union in the broader international law framework. Article 3(5) of the Treaty on the European Union, requires the Union to contribute to the strict observance and development of international law. In this conference, we will explore whether and how the European Union is implementing this commitment especially as it relates to 4 core areas namely: competition law, trade and investment, human rights and the relationship with international organisations. The conference will comprise 4 panels around short interventions allowing participants to contribute through questions and comments.
The event is convened by Professor Margot Horspool (Honorary Fellow in European Law) and Dr Jean-Pierre Gauci (Arthur Watts Senior Research Fellow in Public International Law); is organised in collaboration with the Europa Institute at the University of Leiden and will be hosted by King's College London.
- Sir David Edward KCMG, Vice President, BIICL
- Sir Francis Jacobs, King's College London
- Sir Alan Dashwood, Henderson Chambers
- Alison McDonnell, Europa Institute
- Andrea Biondi, King's College London
- Andrzej Jakubowski , Polish Academy of Sciences
- David Edward, The University of Edinburgh
- Elspeth Guild, Queen Mary University of London
- Francesca Fiorentini, Università degli studi di Trieste
- Giorgia Sangiulo, King's College London
- Jean-Pierre Gauci, BIICL
- Jed Odermatt, City, University of London
- Liza Lovdahl Gormsen, BIICL
- Margot Horspool, BIICL
- Ramses Wessel, University of Twente
- Thomas Ramopoulos, European Commission
- Jacquelyn MacLennan, White & Case
- Maximilian Volmar, Max Planck Institute
- Katharina Helmdach, Brödermann Jahn
View the Programme
Join in the conversation @BIICL #LondonLeiden
Pricing and Registration
- Individual: £30
- Concession: £24
- Student: £18
- Individual: £50
- Concession: £40
- Student: £30
Concession fees are applicable to academics, staff of government and NGO's.
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.
This event offers the equivalent of 6 CPD hours.
Photography and audio recording
Please note that our events may be photographed or audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively, you can email BIICL Marketing Manager, Carmel Brown in advance of the event that you are attending.
Event Cancellation Policy
By registering for an event, you have confirmed that you have read and understood our event cancellation policy.