Date: 16th October 2014
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Venue: University of Antwerp, Universiteitsplein, ANTWERP, B 2610
Venue: University of Antwerp, Stadscampus - R.212 - Rodestraat - 2000 Antwerpen
Against the background of the increasingly diverging case law of the CJEU and ECHR, this event examines and critically assesses the current legal framework for international child abduction cases. The question is how far a court's duty reaches when assessing the grant of a return order. Should the court apply a very marginal test only, in essence sending the child back unless there is a very serious reason not to do so? Or must it take full account of the right to family life of each individual child and his or her parents?
Speakers will discuss the use of the grounds for refusal; the role of Central Authorities; the future of the 1980 Hague Convention and of the Brussels II bis Regulation; potential ways to a harmonised case law of the CJEU and ECHR; children's rights and interests; and the concerns of children's organisations.
- Paul Beaumont, University of Aberdeen
- Hilde Demarré, Missing Children Europe
- Thalia Kruger, University of Antwerp
- Eva Lein, British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- Carolina Marín Pedreño, Dawson Cornwell, London
- Marta Pertegas, Hague Conference on Private International Law
- Andrea Schulz, German Central Authority
- Joanna Serdynska, European Commission
- Linda Silberman, NYU
- Helen Stalford, University of Liverpool
- Frederik Swennen, University of Antwerp
- Karin Verbist, Adverlat, Antwerp
Download the Programme
Download the Event flyer
Event convened by Prof. Thalia Kruger, University of Antwerp and Dr Eva Lein, BIICL.
Thalia Kruger (University of Antwerp), Eva Lein (BIICL), Eva Brems (Ghent University), Sylvie Saroléa (Université Catholique de Louvain), Frederik Swennen (University of Antwerp), Wouter Vandenhole (University of Antwerp) and Jinske Verhellen (Ghent University)
Marc Fallon (Université Catholique de Louvain), Maarit Jänterä-Jareborg (University of Uppsala), Johan Meeusen (University of Antwerp), Freya Vander Laenen (Ghent University), Patrick Wautelet (University of Liège)
This event is accredited for 5 CPD points.
Pricing and Registration
- Individual - £52 (Approx. 66 EUR)
- Full-time Academic - £38 (Approx. 48 EUR)
- Full-time Student - £26 (Approx. 33 EUR)
- Individual - £88 (Approx. 110 EUR)
- Full-time Academic - £64 (Approx. 80 EUR)
- Full-time Student - £44 (Approx. 55 EUR)
The prices displayed in Euro are indicative only and will vary according to the time of your booking and the exchange rate applied to your transaction by your card provider.
N.B. The Academic rate also applies to staff of government and non-profit organisations.
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team
Photography and audio recording
Please note that our events may be photographed or audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively you can email BIICL Marketing Manager, Claudia Mansaray, in advance of the event that you are attending.