13th September 2019
Time: 1.30pm - 6.15pm (registration from 1:00pm)
Venue: NUS Law (Bukit Timah Campus)
469G Bukit Timah Road, Singapore 259776
The landscape of investor-State dispute settlement is changing. In 2017, the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law conferred a broad mandate on Working Group III to consider possible reform of ISDS.
The progressive agenda was borne from growing concerns over the system and the substance of decision-making in ISDS. To its critics, the repeat appointment of certain decision-makers when investor-State disputes are settled by arbitration and the uneven quality of decisions rendered unite to undermine confidence in the ability of ISDS, in its present form, to adequately safeguard the interests of investors, States, and relevant stakeholders.
The inaugural ISDS@Singapore Public Conference assembles leading policy-makers, practitioners and academics to discuss the different dimensions of a legitimate, sustainable ISDS. It marks the first time that an Investment Treaty Forum-led conference is held in Singapore.
- Mr Cavinder Bull, SC, CEO, Drew & Napier LLC
- Mr Toby Landau QC, Barrister and Arbitrator, Essex Court Chambers
- Dr Jean Ho, Associate Professor, NUS Law
- Ms Daphne Hong, Director‐General, International Affairs Division (IAD) of the Attorney‐General's Chambers
- Ms Miriama Kiselyova, Investment Expert & Legal Adviser, Permanent Representation of the Slovak Republic to the EU
- Ms Athita Komindr, Head of the UNCITRAL Regional Centre for Asia and the Pacific
- Prof Yarik Kryvoi, Director of the Investment Treaty Forum, BIICL
- Mr Jonathan Lim, Senior Associate, WilmerHale
- Ms Lim Seok Hui, CEO, SIAC
- Ms Inga Martinkute, PhD candidate, NUS Law
- Dr Nimnual Piewthongngam, Director, DPU Praxis Center and Lecturer, Dhurakij Pundit University
- Prof Lucy Reed, Director, Centre for International Law and Professor, NUS Law
- Mr Jeremy Sharpe,Partner, International Arbitration and Public International Law practices, Shearman & Sterling
- Prof M Sornarajah, CJ Koh Professor, NUS Law
Download the Event flyer
Join in the conversation @BIICL #ITFLaw #ISDS
Free to attend for members of the Investment Treaty Forum. ITF Members wishing to attend should register by emailing the Events team.
For other attendees the following fees apply:
- YSIAC/BIICL Members/NUS Law Staff & Students: £30 (approx. 50 SGD)
(you will be asked to confirm your YSIAC membership or NUS affiliation when making a booking at this rate)
- Early bird rate (until 2 August 2019): £45 (approx. 80 SGD)
- Standard rate (after 2 August 2019): £60 (approx. 100 SGD)
In collaboration with:
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.
This event offers the equivalent of 3.5 CPD Points (TBC)
Practice Area: Alternative Dispute Resolution
Training Level: Foundation
Participants who wish to obtain CPD Points are reminded that they must comply strictly with the Attendance Policy set out in the CPD Guidelines. For this activity, this includes signing in on arrival and signing out at the conclusion of the activity in the manner required by the organiser, and not being absent from the entire activity for more than 15 minutes. Participants who do not comply with the Attendance Policy will not be able to obtain CPD Points for attending the activity. Please refer to www.sileCPDcentre.sg for more information.
Photography and audio recording
Please note that our events may be photographed or audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively you can email BIICL Marketing Manager, Carmel Brown in advance of the event that you are attending.
Event Cancellation Policy
By registering for an event, you have confirmed that you have read and understood our event cancellation policy.
Available for booking
You must be logged in to book an event.