18th October 2019
Time: 09:00-17:00 (registration from 08:30)
Venue: Woburn House, Tavistock Square, London WC1H 9HQ
The conference will address challenges of valuation of damages in international investment law. The speakers will include a mix of law firm partners, independent arbitrators, academics and valuation experts.
Topics covered include:
- What makes valuation in investor-State disputes different from commercial arbitration (involvement of sovereigns, country risk premiums, expropriation compensation and claims for less than full value, the social impact)
- Proving damages (reasonably proven and speculative losses, the burden of proof, "best evidence", the impact of hindsight information)
- Quantification of damages (differences between "full reparation," "full compensation" and "fair market value", other valuation standards, valuation methods used in recent awards)
- The effect of contributory negligence
- Moral damages and other issues.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Juan Fernández-Armesto, Armesto & Asociados (keynote address)
- Arif Ali, Dechert LLP
- Christina Beharry, Foley Hoag LLP
- Ronnie Barnes, Cornerstone Research
- Christophe Bondy, Cooley LLP
- Jeffery Commission, Burford Capital LLC
- Diane Desierto, University of Notre Dame
- Marcos D. Garcia Dominguez, University of Chicago
- John Elisson, FTI Consulting Inc.
- David Herlihy, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Aron Skogman, Mannheimer Swartling Advokatbyrå AB
More details to be announced shortly.
Join in the conversation @BIICL #ITFLaw #ISDS
Pricing and Registration
Free to attend for members of the Investment Treaty Forum. ITF Members wishing to attend should register by emailing the Events team.
For all other attendees the following fees apply:
- Individual: £235
- Concession: £185
- Individual: £395
- Concession: £305
Concession fees are applicable to academics, students, staff of government and NGOs.
Lunch sponsored by:
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.
This event offers the equivalent of 6 CPD hours.
Photography and audio recording
Please note that our events may be photographed or audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively you can email BIICL Marketing Manager, Carmel Brown in advance of the event that you are attending.
Event Cancellation Policy
By registering for an event, you have confirmed that you have read and understood our event cancellation policy.
Available for booking
You must be logged in to book an event.