10th May 2019
Time: 09:00-17:00 (Registration from 08:30)
Venue: BMA House, Tavistock Square, Bloomsbury,
London WC1H 9JP
The event will bring together arbitrators, leading practitioners and academics working in the area of international investment law.
The conference will cover a range of issues related to State responsibility, including:
- circumstances precluding wrongfulness
- force majeure
- distress and necessity
- fundamental change of circumstances
- attribution for the conduct of different branches of government, State entities, provinces and municipalities
- contributory fault
- responsibility for continuous and composite acts
- cumulative effect of a series of acts.
Confirmed speakers include
- Prof Vaughan Lowe QC, Essex Court Chambers & University of Oxford (keynote address)
- Charles Claypoole, Latham & Watkins
- Dr Stuart Dutson, Simmons & Simmons
- Greg Falkof, Eversheds Sutherland
- Prof Matthew Happold, University of Luxembourg
- Loretta Malintoppi, 39 Essex Chambers
- Edward Poulton, Baker McKenzie
- Prof Christoph Schreuer, zeiler.partners
- Anthony Sinclair, Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan
- Belinda Paiseley, Reed Smith
- David Pawlak, David A. Pawlak LLC
- Kate Cervantes-Knox, DLA Piper
- Suzanne Spears, Allen & Overy
- Sylvia Tonova, Jones Day
- Chanaka Wickremasinghe, Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Additional speakers will be announced later.
Conference convened by Prof Yarik Kryvoi, Senior Research Fellow in International Economic Law and Director of the Investment Treaty Forum. This conference is a part of the London International Disputes Week. #LIDW19
Join in the conversation @BIICL #ITFLaw
Pricing and Registration
Free to attend for members of the Investment Treaty Forum. ITF Members wishing to attend should register by emailing the Events team.
For all other attendees the following fees apply:
- Individual: £235
- Concession: £185
- Individual: £395
- Concession: £305
Concession fees are applicable to academics, students, staff of government and NGO's.
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.
This event offers the equivalent of 6 CPD hours.
Photography and audio recording
Please note that our events may be photographed or audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively you can email BIICL Marketing Manager, Carmel Brown in advance of the event that you are attending.
Event Cancellation Policy
By registering for an event, you have confirmed that you have read and understood our event cancellation policy.
Available for booking
You must be logged in to book an event.