6th June 2018
Time: 10.30-15:45 (Registration opens from 10:00)
This event will bring together EU and national officials, MEPs and civil society to discuss the Venice Commission's Rule of Law Checklist and how it can be applied in practice to EU Member States. It will also look at current and possible future EU mechanisms to support the rule of law.
The event will be held under the Chatham House Rule, in order to encourage frank discussion.
- Tiina Astola, Director General for Justice and Consumers, European Commission
- Petra Bárd, Lecturer, Central European University
- Ian Bond, Director of Foreign Policy, Centre for European Reform
- Israel Butler, Head of Advocacy, Civil Liberties Union for Europe
- Agata Gostyńska-Jakubowska, Senior Research Fellow, Centre for European Reform
- Murray Hunt, Director, Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law
- Hanne Juncher, Head of the Justice and Legal Co-operation Department, Directorate General Human Rights and Rule of Law, Council of Europe
- Natacha Kazatchkine, Senior Policy Analyst, Open Society European Policy Institute
- Laurent Pech, Professor and Head of Department Law, Middlesex University
- Judith Sargentini, Member, European Parliament
- Kaarlo Tuori, Member, Venice Commission, Council of Europe
- Thomas Zerdick, Member of Cabinet Timmermans, European Commission
Additional speakers TBC
Attendance is by invitation only.
For more information please contact the Events team.
This event has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 Research & Innovation programme under Grant Agreement no. 770142 and the Open Society Foundations.