Eva is Professor at the University of Lausanne. Her fields of expertise are private international law, international dispute resolution and comparative law. She also is a Senior Research Fellow at BIICL.
Eva is a qualified German lawyer. She fluent in English, French, Italian, Spanish and German and has been lecturing in various countries. She is Honorary Senior Lecturer at Queen Mary University of London and at Queen Mary University of London, Institute in Paris and was Visiting Professor at different institutions, including the University Paris II (Panthéon-Assas). She also regularly speaks at international conferences and seminars.
Eva has published extensively on topical issues of private international law with a special focus on international litigation and European conflict of laws. Recent publications include 'Unchartered Territory? A few Thoughts on Private International Law post Brexit', 17 YbPIL (2016), p. 33 ff, the co-edited commentary 'The Brussels I Regulation Recast', Oxford University Press 2015 and the co-edited volume 'Collective Redress in Europe - Why and How', BIICL 2015. Her PhD on European, international and comparative contract law was graded summa cum laude.
Since 2016 she has been specialising on the legal consequences of Brexit and is an expert for the House of Commons and the Law Society on Brexit in a cross-border context. She acted as an expert for the UK Ministry of Justice, the UK Parliament, the European Commission, the European Parliament and Swiss Authorities and is engaged in international research projects in collaboration with foreign scientific institutions. She is also an advisory board member of the Yearbook of Private International Law.
- 'Art. 2 EuErbVO, vor Art. 4 - Art. 16 EuErbVO, Art. 19 EuErbVO' in Dutta/Weber, Internationales Erbrecht, Commentary, Beck 2016 (forthcoming April 2016), 95, 101-150, 160 ff.
- The Brussels I Regulation Recast, Commentary, Oxford University Press 2015 (with A Dickinson, University of Oxford, eds).
- Collective Redress in Europe - Why and How, BIICL 2015 (with D Fairgrieve, M Otero Crespo and V Smith, eds).
- 'Arts 8-11 Rome III Regulation' in Calliess, Rome Regulations, Commentary, 2nd ed, Wolters Kluwer 2015, 890-929.
- 'Die Erbrechtsverordnung aus Sicht der Drittstaaten' in Dutta/Herrler, Die neue EU-Erbrechtsverordnung, Beck 2014, 199-220.
- Extraterritoriality and Collective Redress, Oxford University Press 2012 (with D Fairgrieve).
- Cross-Border Collective Redress and Jurisdiction under Brussels I - A Mismatch, in: D Fairgrieve/ E Lein, Extraterritoriality and Collective Redress, Oxford University Press 2012, 129-142.
- The Brussels I Review Proposal Uncovered, BIICL 2012.
- 'Arbitration and the Brussels I Recast' (with J Harris), in E Lein, The Brussels I Review Proposal Uncovered, BIICL 2012, 31-56.
- 2013/ 2014 - UK Ministry of Justice, Study on Factors Influencing International Litigants' Decisions to Bring Commercial Claims to the London Based Courts
- 2012 - 2014 - European Commission, Research Project Focus on Collective Redress
- 2011 - Legal Expert for the European Commission, Study on the question of effectiveness of an assignment or subrogation of a claim against third parties and the priority of the assigned or subrogated claim over a right of another person
- 2010 - Legal Expert for the European Parliament, Issues of private international law, jurisdiction and enforcement of judgments linked with the adoption of an optional EU contract law
- 2010 - Legal Expert for the European Parliament, Legal consequences of the Decision by the UK not to Take Part in the Adoption of an EU Regulation on Succession
Contact Professor Eva Lein