The Institute's Comparative Law programme was founded in 2002 to promote research, policy discussion and development in the field of comparative law, and to strengthen the link between the law and policy-making in this area.
The following research projects are coordinated by the Comparative Law programme:
- Product Liability
- Collective Redress & group actions
- Tort Liability of Public Authorities
- General Principles of European Tort Law
- Transnational Damages claims
- Human Rights and Tort Law
- Regulatory Liability in Comparative Law
- Tort Law within the European Private Law Context
- Comparative Tort Law
- Law and Practice of Reparations.
Given the importance of product liability in Europe, a dedicated centre of excellence on product liability, the Product Liability Forum, was founded in 2004.
Considering the contemporary developments of European private law, the Comparative Law programme often addresses a number of broader European private law topics in cooperation with the Private International Law team. These include the general construction of European Private Law, the heads of loss and the classification of obligations.
- Dr Duncan Fairgrieve, Senior Research Fellow in Comparative Law and Director of the Product Liability Forum
The Centre also operates an international network of expert correspondents who have particular expertise in the sphere of tort law.
- M. Andenas, D. Fairgrieve (eds.), Courts and Comparative Law, forthcoming
- D. Fairgrieve, E. Lein (eds.), Extraterritoriality and Collective Redress, OUP, 2012
- D. Fairgrieve, F. Lichere (eds.), Public Procurement Law: Damages as an Effective Remedy, Hart Publishing, 2011
- D. Fairgrieve (ed.), The Influence of the French Civil Code on the Common Law and Beyond, BIICL, 2007
- D. Fairgrieve (ed.), Product Liability in Comparative Perspective, CUP, 2005
- G. Canivet, M. Andenas, D. Fairgrieve (eds.), Comparative Law Before the Courts, BIICL, 2004
- D. Fairgrieve, S. Green (eds.), Child Abuse Tort Claims Against Public Bodies: A Comparative Law View, Ashgate, 2004
Chapters in Books
- D. Fairgrieve, "The Form of Judgments in France and the Role of the Rapporteur Public", in M. Andenas, S. Vogenauer (eds.), Style and Form of Judgments, Hart Publishing, forthcoming
- Chapter on French Law, Common Core Project on Product Liability, CUP, forthcoming
- Chapter on French Law concerning Public Authority Liability, PETL, forthcoming
- D. Fairgrieve, G. Guillaume, "Rapport de Droit du Royaume-Uni" in Ph. Pierre, F. Leduc (ss. dir.), La reparation integrale en Europe, Larcier, 2012
- D. Fairgrieve, F. G'Sell-Macrez, "Causation in French Law: Pragmatism and Policy", in R. Goldberg (ed.), Perspectives on Causation, Hart Publishing, 2011
- D. Fairgrieve, "Comparative Tort Law", in R. McCorquodale (ed.), The Rule of Law in International and Comparative Context, BIICL, 2010
- D. Fairgrieve, G. Howells, "Collective Redress Procedures - European Debates", (2009) 58 ICLQ 379-409
23 November 2017...
(ICJ Advisory Opinion)...
Find out how you can help us address some of the most pressing global challenges.