Tort Law Centre
The objective of the Institute's Tort Law Centre, which was founded in 2002, is to promote research, policy discussion and development in the field of tort law, and to strengthen the link between the law and policy-making in this area.
The following research projects are coordinated by the Tort Law Centre:
Given the importance of product liability in Europe, a dedicated centre of excellence on product liability, the Product Liability Forum, was founded in 2004.
Considering the contemporary developments of European private law, the Tort Law Centre will address, both through seminars and publications, a number of broader European private law topics in cooperation with the Private International Law team.
A number of staff work under the umbrella of the Tort Law Centre.
At the Centre, we have an international network of expert correspondents who have particular expertise in the sphere of tort law. These National Rapporteurs are from Continental Europe and beyond participate in our events and research programme at the Institute.
Tort Law Centre Seminars
The Tort Law Centre regularly organises seminars on contemporary themes.
Tort Law Centre Publications
The members of the Tort Law Centre are involved in various publications. Those include:
- M. Andenas, D. Fairgrieve (eds.), Courts and Comparative Law, forthcoming
- D. Fairgrieve, E. Lein (eds.), Extraterritoriality and Collective Redress, OUP, 2012
- D. Fairgrieve, F. Lichere (eds.), Public Procurement Law: Damages as an Effective Remedy, Hart Publishing, 2011
- D. Fairgrieve (ed.), The Influence of the French Civil Code on the Common Law and Beyond, BIICL, 2007
- D. Fairgrieve (ed.), Product Liability in Comparative Perspective, CUP, 2005
- G. Canivet, M. Andenas, D. Fairgrieve (eds.), Comparative Law Before the Courts, BIICL, 2004
- D. Fairgrieve, S. Green (eds.), Child Abuse Tort Claims Against Public Bodies: A Comparative Law View, Ashgate, 2004
Chapters in Books
- D. Fairgrieve, "The Form of Judgments in France and the Role of the Rapporteur Public", in M. Andenas, S. Vogenauer (eds.), Style and Form of Judgments, Hart Publishing, forthcoming
- Chapter on French Law, Common Core Project on Product Liability, CUP, forthcoming
- Chapter on French Law concerning Public Authority Liability, PETL, forthcoming
- D. Fairgrieve, G. Guillaume, "Rapport de Droit du Royaume-Uni" in Ph. Pierre, F. Leduc (ss. dir.), La reparation integrale en Europe, Larcier, 2012
- D. Fairgrieve, F. G'Sell-Macrez, "Causation in French Law: Pragmatism and Policy", in R. Goldberg (ed.), Perspectives on Causation, Hart Publishing, 2011
- D. Fairgrieve, "Comparative Tort Law", in R. McCorquodale (ed.), The Rule of Law in International and Comparative Context, BIICL, 2010
- D. Fairgrieve, G. Howells, "Collective Redress Procedures - European Debates", (2009) 58 ICLQ 379-409
Tort Law Centre Research Projects
Beside its actual centre of interests, the Tort Law Centre plans to focus on various other projects among which stands the general construction of European Private Law, the heads of loss and the classification of obligations.
The Tort Law Centre will also be part of the Francovich project which purports to obtain empirical information about the prevalence of EU State liability claims in different Member State legal orders