The Report of the Annual Conference 2012 is now available online to download here.
The British Institute of International and Comparative Law is pleased to announce its Annual Conference for 2012 entitled "International Law, the Rule of Law and Constitutional Change". This year the conference will be held in conjunction with the Annual Grotius Lecture and Grotius Dinner.
The half day conference will consider the impact of 'Arab Spring' through three panels addressing Rule of Law, Public International Law, and International Investment Law.
Paper topics will include:
- Lawyering in the Arab Spring: Insights on the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry
- The Rule of Law in Fragile and Conflict-Affected States
- Transitions of the Arab Spring - International Mediation Perspectives
- Islamic Tradition and Universality of Human Rights
- Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons in the Middle East and North Africa
- Massive Violations of Human Rights and the use of Force
- The feasibility of re-structuring of investments in the region to maximize legal protection under international investment treaties
- The challenges of working with transitional regimes and the risks for investors created by the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the UK Bribery Act
- The implications of the upheaval of the Arab Spring and the imposition of international sanctions on certain countries for political risk insurance coverage
Professor Shaheen Sardar Ali, University of Warwick
Dr Tariq Ali Baloch, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
N. Jansen Calamita, Senior Research Fellow in International Trade and
Investment Law, British Institute of International and Comparative Law
Professor Nick Grief, University of Kent and Doughty Street Chambers
Dr Charles Gurdon, Menas Associates
Dame Rosalyn Higgins DBE QC
Professor Dino Kritsiotis, University of Nottingham
Alice Lacourt, Legal Counsellor, Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Naina Patel, Blackstone Chambers and Visiting Fellow, Bingham Centre for the
Rule of Law, British Institute of International and Comparative Law
Anthony Sinclair, Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP
Andrew Tobin, Clyde & Co
Professor Marc Weller, Director of the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law
Elizabeth Wilmshurst, Fellow of the Royal Institute of International Affairs,
Chatham House and Visiting Professor, University College London
Programme details are available here.
Timings are subject to change.
The conference is kindly sponsored by:
For attendance at the Annual Conference:
Event Cancellation Policy
Cancellation by us
The British Institute of International and Comparative Law reserves the right to modify or cancel any event if unforeseen circumstances arise. If we cancel an event we shall inform you as soon as possible using the contact details provided to us and offer you a full refund.
Cancellation by you
All cancellations must be made in writing via email to email@example.com and be no less than one week prior to the event.
Payment for registration will always be required, and must be made prior to the event. If sufficient written notification of cancellation is received, a full refund will be given. If insufficient notice is given, payment for your registration will still be required.
By registering for an event, you have confirmed that you have read and understood our cancellation policy.
at the Grotius Lecture 2015...
13th April 2015
ICLQ Annual Lecture 2015
22nd April 2015
Investment Treaty Forum Special Conference: Current Issues in Valuation & Quantum in Investor-State Arbitration
28th April 2015 - 29th April 2015
BIICL Short Course: Public International Law in Practice (28 & 29 April 2015)
28th April 2015
Careers in Public International Law
30th April 2015
12th Annual BIICL Mergers and Markets Conference